Friday, January 30, 2009

A(nother) Defense of NCAA Defense

This comes from my buddy John. John was never a basketball superstar but I once watched him make (arguably) the best player in our 7th-8th grade league cry from hounding him all over the court. I'm sure this is, and will always be, the greatest basketball moment of this life. So here he is...

As a long-time reader, first time guest-blogger (this was the first topic that I truly formed an opinion about), I must preface this by saying that I was that kid that wasn't all that great offensively, but tried really hard and played good defense and rebounded. With that said, I don't see how you can even possibly attempt to say that NBA defense is as good as college defense.

I grew up a huge NBA fan (Drew, remember when Bill Wennington dunked on the Knicks for the win in the first match-up after Jordan returned), but with all the ridiculous sums of money that these guys were getting, and then the strike shortened season, it lost a little luster for me. I've slowly tried to get back into things, but every time I attempt to watch an NBA game, guys just get torched off the dribble, or wide open guys on the low block are getting lobs thrown their way. I can't take it anymore. I would rather see John Chaney send in one of his goons to take someone out every play, than watch wide open dunks and lay-ups all night long because of this Roger Dorn 'Ole style defense.

Watching a team run a 1-3-1 trap as soon as the ball comes across half court is a thing of beauty to me. I can still remember Rick Pitino's Cardiac Cats from the early to mid 90s that went 11-12 men deep because they did a 1-3-1 full court trapping defense almost exclusively. Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

I like the fact that kid's that were told all of their lives that they weren't good enough, or athletic enough are out there giving it their all on every single play in a zone defense, because yes, if they were 1-on-1, they'd probably get beat. Watching a 6' nothing, 100 and nothing kid step in on a fast break to take a charge from a streaking down the court big man will always be more entertaining than watching flops galore (only in the NBA can Chris Paul drive the lane, jump stop, and dish, but yet somehow knock over the 7', 300 pound center). And why would someone be willing to step in and have that type of pain inflicted upon themselves? They've got pride in not only who they are, but the name of that college or university across their chest. They aren't getting paid $20,000/minute to be there, but that's not going to stop them from playing hard nosed defense with every step they take.

I'd rather watch a 47-46 defensive battle (last night between Dayton and St. Louis), than a 95-75 Bulls game any day of the week.

But what do I know, I just make kids cry with my in your face defensive intensity up and down the court.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home